Author Topic: "No flash photoghraphy" badges  (Read 1441 times)

Offline AudienceZombie

• Lazy lizard
  • That iguana guy
    • AudienceZombie on Tumblr
  • Species : Lizard of some sort
"No flash photoghraphy" badges
« on: February 22, 2015, 02:13:57 PM »
I had a thought come to me a while back and I thought I'd post it here since FE is coming up.

I have poor eyesight and mild epilepsy (and I know a few of you guys have either as well) and I can't handle people using the flash when they take photos. I know that we're indoors so the lighting is bad in places, but if you use flash on the wrong person you could actually cause serious harm to them. It's a problem I've noticed in the 11+ years I've been in the furry fandom and so I had an idea.

Why don't we get bright orange badges that read "NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY" that can be available for fursuiters and non-fursuiters so that we can make the con safer for everyone? I'd be more than happy to have them made (though they probably wouldn't be done in time for this year's con) and provide them to con staff on request. I would only charge the cost of getting them made if they get to high demand and would get 200+ of them for staff to give out.

Anyone else want to get behind this idea?
Furaffinity: AudienceZombie

Offline Jinx

• Jinx
  • ^.^
  • Species: Wolf
  • RAWR!!!
  • Species : Canadian Lynx
Re: "No flash photoghraphy" badges
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 02:33:31 PM »
I agree sometimes the flash can be to bright and blind me in fursuit lol

I have bad eyes and wear contacts underneath my fursuit head (vision is already limited anyways)

the flash can mess my eyes up

I have sensitive eyes when it comes to light

I would be fine with flash only if the person taking the photo asked  :3

ive had people take photos of me with flash on right in my eye without asking

I like the idea :3
Sammy<3

Offline Silvermoon

• ^.^
  • In the dark of night, I see the light
  • Species : Wolf
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 05:15:49 PM »
It's a good idea, just note that it won't always keep you out of a flashed photo.
I myself can't see well. Your badge will have to be pretty big and bright for me to even see it, while in the midst of taking photos, with all the furs moving around.
If you happen to be in the background of someone's photo, you may catch the flash in your eye.
I've gotten myself a flash diffuser, and use it whenever possible. But anything that at least helps let others know how a flash can effect you is a good idea. No one wants to hurt anyone else with the flash.

Offline Scani

• Furnal Equinox Con Staff
  • Species : Gryphon (panther/cardinal)
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 06:17:57 PM »
Some good ideas all around!

Best practice to photographers -- ask if you can take a photo AND ask if the fursuiter will be okay with flash photography. I know it's kind of difficult in our venue with the limited light, but still worth asking anyway.
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same...

-- Rudyard Kipling
---
Scani (Chair, Furnal Equinox)

Offline Jabler

• ^.^
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 06:29:28 PM »
I agree with this as well. It''s a pretty good idea. I don't like being in a photo and blinded by flash. My eyesight already sucks, blinding me for a bit can be a bit of a problem.

Offline Pikazap

• Innovator of Sexiness
  • Team Meerkat Moderator
  • Species : Pikachu Fennec Fox
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 08:38:14 PM »
Usually in fursuit I don't look directly at a light. Intend to pose with my suit and look away because its not like anyone will notice the guy inside is not looking since the suit is.

Offline icywolf

• the pup
  • ^.^
  • Species: Wolf dog
  • love the avi ozraptor
  • Species : Wolsky
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 04:35:46 PM »
Sounds like a good idea. All though with the large amount of people and growing, FE gets each year; it could be hard to avoid flash photography. I know with my suit, its not of light gets in, anytime someone trys to take a flash photo, it temperately blind me. I tend to close my eyes to avoid it or look elsewhere.
FCX[wolf dog=]m3acdrsw A C++ D++++ H+++ M? P++ R T++ W Z Sm RLS a cn+ e+ f++ h* i+~+ j+ p sm+

^ furry code

Offline Foxin

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 09:41:15 AM »
I know this topic is old, but here is a simple solution for those suiters with bad eyesight when posing for a picture. Just Close your eyes until people start moving again. You can then slowly open your eyes again. I know it won't help for when you get caught by the flash accidentally from someone else's picture, but then A sign wouldn't help you there either.

If you're not in a suit then I really don't have a solution for you, sorry.

Feral