Author Topic: Condition:Wasteland ~ comments, kudos and concerns  (Read 3787 times)

Offline Frostscar

• Team Meerkat Administration
    • Condition Vs the Monsters
Re: Condition:Wasteland ~ comments, kudos and concerns
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 01:55:41 PM »
Isaac's and I's experiences:

1. More involvement with the storyline. We both felt that this year felt rather hollow. The last few years I felt I had more involvement with the story (spy game, rum running etc) and there seemed this year to be a lot of points brought up that really went no where. Many of the faction descriptions had all these points that I didn't hear brought up again. We get that maybe it's a staffing issue, but don't be afraid to ask for more volunteers/staff. Isaac and I would have been willing to help out.

We kinda went heavy with it before the convention and a bit flat at the con, Some staffing changes are happening and i think that will help with this issue going forward. If you guys want to help out with the con, fire off an email to chairman@conditionfurry.ca and we can get that process started

2. Assassin game issues: Specifically Isaac with this one.
Isaac: The game's a lot of fun but there's a few just overall problems that happen with it. One being if a target is in a panel then the assassin loses an hour+ of their con experience having to wait. Riffti wanted me to take photos of the parade for her but I wound up stuck waiting for a panel to end and missed it. I managed to watch from the door and tried to get out a few times but the rules are very restrictive. I get not wanting to interrupt someone else's experience fully fine but there needs to be more correlation between the game and the rest of the con, because as a result we have people who want to attend and play crossing with those who JUST want to play, and then both tend to get the short end.

Ya, we basically have to learn toward not interrupting panels but safezones do create an issue. We are going to continue to evolve the game as we go. Maybe something like...you can still get killed in a panel room but the person getting killed won't actually be involved so we don't interrupt the panel...Ill add it to the list and we will come up with something

3. Perhaps put a small section about fursuit etiquette into the conbook for BOTH suiters and non suiters. I found I had a problem with people walking the hotel in a fullsuit minus their head. I mean, I get it, you're hot and need to take a breather. Go into a panel if you need to, go to the lounge, try and get to your room. Don't wander the lobby headless, where there are non-con goers. This ruins the magic! Also, it's not cool to sit in a long event (like the auction) in your suit minus your head. Get out of the suit or wear it. We have a headless lounge for a reason. Added to the fact, a couple of times I tried to get back to my friend's room to get out of my own suit and found myself crammed at the back of a hot elevator. I'm hot already, trying to get somewhere I can change. It's not cool to be forced to the back while more and more people crowd on.

Humm, I actually fall on the other side of the "Magic" fence so this kind of thing doesn't bother me at a convention ( different if there are kids or a paid gig) but I can see your point.  Its probably something we could add to the conbook and in some cases a friendly reminder is the first time anyone actually learns about this kind of thing and how to treat suiter etc.  Ill pass the comments on to the fursuit track

4. More control in panels. I don't think Welnis will bring it up, but during the Pokemon biology was a big one. We had two parties in the front who were constantly yelling out and making a scene, and I felt it ruined the experience for everyone. Like they'd yell out middle of him talking and then he, trying to keep some control, would wind up stuck on their tangent to hopefully get them calmed down so he could run the panel, and due to this he couldn't touch on many of the points he wanted to. The ability to you know,maybe have a warning for them or something? Cause they were at quite a few panels and events with the same general outcome. They sucked a lot of the fun away being so... Obnoxious. People who would normally have a lot to contribute to the panel didn't this year, because even they were being cut off by inane points. No one wants to be the one to say "SHUT UP OR GET OUT", even though we were muttering it among ourselves.

Good information to have. Having more then one person at the front of the larger panels maybe.. Panelists do totally have the power to have people behave in their panels but it can be hard to be that guy telling people to shut up, even if it is your own panel.

5. Maybe try to involve people into the con? I know it's something that can't really be helped but we had higher attendance overall but lower turn out for EVERY panel. It was total roomcon this year. Full rooms were filled to like, one row. There were several panels that had like two people show up, total. Even the bigger panels, like Pokemon Biology. Usually it fills half of the large room. This year, it was maybe two and a half rows. The fursuit games was half a room tops, and half the size it usually is, making the competitors feel cramped. I was afraid I was going to step on someone. Especially since people weren't in their chairs, so when I went to where my friends were with my water, I was trying to navigate people sitting on the floor.

An issue to be sure but not one I have a a solution for at the moment. Added to the list

6. Lack of debit and credit at the auction. Monetary turn out for the auction was low, we all know it. Usually we have ~10K worth of donated money. This year was ~5.5K. People did not have the freedom to use their money. Most people don't carry a lot of cash on them. The only reason I bid as much as I did was I took extra money out of the ATM when getting an item from the dealer's den. Also, speaking of the dealer's den. Ouch. It felt so empty this year. No one had tails. What the heck! What furry con has no tails for sale? One of the only people with accessories (hats and the like) was anti-fur. And therefore, was (IMO) overcharging quite a bit for everything, even non-accessories. No one wanted to spend their money which would be their carry-cash at the dealers den, which helped the auction with no debit/credit, but then we see the significant dent in BOTH areas. Dealers don't want to pay the extra for the table and sell nothing, and the auction, as respectable as 5.5K is, can do SO much better.

The debit machine broke and that company will not be used again after this year. Not happy about having a debit shaped piece of plastic all con. We had alternatives in place but ya, it did probably hurt us in the end.

The Den is not something that the convention controls exactly. We simply put the dealers that apply into the den and no one to my knowledge was refused. I do agree it was a bit odd not to see no tails but it did cause a dealer to change her plans of what to sell next year to fill that missing area, and her prototype that was finished in an hour looked awesome for a first try. So I think that issue will be solved by the dealers themselves.

I think that's most of our major issues. If I can think of anything else I'll post it. We're sorry if we're going on a bit of a tangent, or if this seems negative. We did have a good time, and we understand that you guys have a LOT of angles to work with putting on the con. We will definitely be going back next year, and we really hope that all of our friends feel the same way.

No sorry required. IF people don;t tell us what to fix then we just don't know. Well written and thought out feedback is far far better then not being told there was an issue at all. Bring your friend next year and if you want anything else changed let us know over the year and we can get the ball rolling on it.

Come join us for Condition Vs the Monsters! Aug 1st to 3rd in London, Ontario. www.conditionfurry.ca

Offline Riffti

• The Barking Mad Jackal
  • ^.^
  • Species: Jackal
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2013, 02:08:44 PM »
2. Assassin game issues: Specifically Isaac with this one.
Isaac: The game's a lot of fun but there's a few just overall problems that happen with it. One being if a target is in a panel then the assassin loses an hour+ of their con experience having to wait. Riffti wanted me to take photos of the parade for her but I wound up stuck waiting for a panel to end and missed it. I managed to watch from the door and tried to get out a few times but the rules are very restrictive. I get not wanting to interrupt someone else's experience fully fine but there needs to be more correlation between the game and the rest of the con, because as a result we have people who want to attend and play crossing with those who JUST want to play, and then both tend to get the short end.

Ya, we basically have to learn toward not interrupting panels but safezones do create an issue. We are going to continue to evolve the game as we go. Maybe something like...you can still get killed in a panel room but the person getting killed won't actually be involved so we don't interrupt the panel...Ill add it to the list and we will come up with something

Thanks for the speedy response to everything. :3 In terms of just this one though, a simple idea that could be "brought back" from con red. In red you could snag your target's target sheet and just string together kills. Maybe have a similar concept in that regard that an assassin has a ticket for their hunter to take. This allows a: that it's not a huge interruption bringing someone back and b: the guys running the game can keep tabs of who's actively participating if their ticket is still at the desk. We'd know they don't have a target and then the people who've gotten bored can more easily drop out.

Because I think that got explained poorly, basically have a target ticket and an "I am a target" ticket. You need the "I am" to turn in the kill,and you take their target so they're out till they go pick up their "I am" ticket and a new target.

Offline Frostscar

• Condition Vs the Monsters
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2013, 04:33:09 PM »
That could work, would still possibly interrupt but it would be much quieter
Come join us for Condition Vs the Monsters! Aug 1st to 3rd in London, Ontario. www.conditionfurry.ca

Offline Airless

• ^.^
  • New to the furry fandom!
  • Species : Dragoness
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2013, 03:20:13 PM »

6. The only reason I bid as much as I did was I took extra money out of the ATM when getting an item from the dealer's den. Also, speaking of the dealer's den. Ouch. It felt so empty this year. No one had tails. What the heck! What furry con has no tails for sale? One of the only people with accessories (hats and the like) was anti-fur. And therefore, was (IMO) overcharging quite a bit for everything, even non-accessories.

I had a tail this year! Does that count? XD
If I'm able to return to Canada for next year's con, I'll try to have more tails. They're pretty time consuming to make correctly. Seam picking takes forever! ( the only tail I sold took 9 hours to make)

And most Dealers this year had Square Card Readers, which meant you could pay with Visa or Mastercard.
I can see why the Charity Auction did not want to use that.. they charge 3% of each sale. :S

Offline Maengun(Wolf)

• Totally a Bottom!
  • IT Professional
  • Species : Wolf
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2013, 03:47:09 PM »

6. The only reason I bid as much as I did was I took extra money out of the ATM when getting an item from the dealer's den. Also, speaking of the dealer's den. Ouch. It felt so empty this year. No one had tails. What the heck! What furry con has no tails for sale? One of the only people with accessories (hats and the like) was anti-fur. And therefore, was (IMO) overcharging quite a bit for everything, even non-accessories.

I had a tail this year! Does that count? XD
If I'm able to return to Canada for next year's con, I'll try to have more tails. They're pretty time consuming to make correctly. Seam picking takes forever! ( the only tail I sold took 9 hours to make)

And most Dealers this year had Square Card Readers, which meant you could pay with Visa or Mastercard.
I can see why the Charity Auction did not want to use that.. they charge 3% of each sale. :S

There was one dealer (critterama) who charged the extra 3% per item/sale if you used credit card. - Square reader. Which is a pretty good idea honestly.

Shane
IT Support
2016 Harley Street 750
Wolf in a human body.

Offline Hiro Fox

• ^.^
  • Species : Fox
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2013, 06:07:00 PM »
I liked the size and location of the dealer's den, and the location of the artist's alley was good, too. To get to them, you had to walk through the con space, which made the hallway a meeting space. You were then able to peek into the panel rooms to see what was going on.

I had a little bit of a problem with registration. I had forgotten my Condition online account name and password, and I wasn't able to access my online email account to get the info. It may have been a network error on the hotel's behalf, but I thought I'd throw it in anyway.
I just made another account with a different address I had, but I would like to have been able to use the password recovery link.

I liked that Pak and Lethias had themed panels. Pak's was what do do after a disaster, and Lethias' was about how to survive a zombie outbreak. So, themed panels in next year's con would be cool; especially if the theme is going to be monsters!
Now let's all get drunk and play ping pong!

Offline Airless

• ^.^
  • New to the furry fandom!
  • Species : Dragoness
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2013, 06:48:41 PM »

There was one dealer (critterama) who charged the extra 3% per item/sale if you used credit card. - Square reader. Which is a pretty good idea honestly.

Shane

I was one of those dealers who used my Square Card Reader, with the same 3% upcharge.
But what I was saying is it might not be so convenient for people who are donating $1000+ at the Charity auction with the 3% fee.

Offline Scani

• Furnal Equinox Con Staff
  • Species : Gryphon (panther/cardinal)
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2013, 09:44:22 PM »

Shane

I was one of those dealers who used my Square Card Reader, with the same 3% upcharge.
But what I was saying is it might not be so convenient for people who are donating $1000+ at the Charity auction with the 3% fee.

Just so dealers know, my understanding is that retailers adding a surcharge to accept a credit card isn't allowed in Canada.

(The credit card companies actually took this to a tribunal a few weeks ago, and lost.)
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same...

-- Rudyard Kipling
---
Scani (Chair, Furnal Equinox)

Offline Pikazap

• Innovator of Sexiness
  • Team Meerkat Moderator
  • Species : Pikachu Fennec Fox
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2013, 10:47:37 PM »
Why is it that the only place that really follows the rules right are CHinese Take Out restaurants?

Offline AndrewIsGreen

• Gotta catch a few
  • Suddenly, crocodile!
    • Steam ID
  • Species : Crocodile/Husky/Otter
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2013, 01:44:47 PM »
Teh bad stuff

1. No debit allowed, no banks around. I had to bring money with me.. And I didn't even have enough in the end. I had to use the sketchy Hotel ATM :s

2. No as many panels or events going on.

3. Make the early bird discount end a lot later! Like, in May or June!

4. Consider allergies when bringing food to the lounge

5. Was only able to find the lounge cause it was on the same floor as my room. Put up signs or something!

6. Fursuit games was a disaster. Spinning around a bunch in a hot suit makes you sick :s As well as.. well, no prizes really. Better prizes will make more people want to attend!
----------------
Teh Good stuff

1. Dealers den had bigger area, easier to move around

2. Charity Auction was organized well

3. Pool party was fun! Yay giant inflatables!

-------------
Suggestions

1. New hotel. Preferably one with a bank nearby.

2. More staff

3. A map of where everything is!

4. Polarski

Offline Chazore

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2013, 02:44:36 PM »
There's a bank in the mall that's right across the street from the hotel

Offline AndrewIsGreen

• Gotta catch a few
  • Suddenly, crocodile!
    • Steam ID
  • Species : Crocodile/Husky/Otter
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2013, 04:38:33 PM »
There's a bank in the mall that's right across the street from the hotel

Ah.. damn.. wish someone told me beforehand xD
eh.. too late

Offline Pikazap

• Innovator of Sexiness
  • Team Meerkat Moderator
  • Species : Pikachu Fennec Fox
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2013, 07:12:48 PM »
most malls I know of have banks. :-p

Offline Maengun(Wolf)

• Totally a Bottom!
  • IT Professional
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2013, 08:49:32 PM »

Shane

Just so dealers know, my understanding is that retailers adding a surcharge to accept a credit card isn't allowed in Canada.

(The credit card companies actually took this to a tribunal a few weeks ago, and lost.)

Well dealers are a prviate business as far as I know and if they want to make adjustments to their prices to cover the 3% charge. Then nobody can stop them.

Shane
IT Support
2016 Harley Street 750
Wolf in a human body.

Offline Maengun(Wolf)

• Totally a Bottom!
  • IT Professional
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2013, 08:56:29 PM »
4. Consider allergies when bringing food to the lounge

Unfortunately, people with food allergies have to be their own lookout.

A convention cannot stop bringing in food or making food because some people may have allergies to certain items. It is the responsibility of the person(s) with allergies to certain foods, spices etc to let the person know who is serving the food etc.

Unfortunately you cannot make foods and be mindful of every attendee's possible or verified food allergies.

What it comes down to, in blunt terms is "As a person with allergies to things, it is up to you not to be near or ingest those things". The onus falls upon you.

The convention, whichever it may be, is not responsible for providing food or drink to each person specific needs, unless it is within reason(IE: diet drinks, calorie free drinks, vegtable snacks etc).

Shane
IT Support
2016 Harley Street 750
Wolf in a human body.

FE