Author Topic: Our New Venue For FE 2013  (Read 4554 times)

Offline Scani

• Furnal Equinox Con Staff
  • Species : Gryphon (panther/cardinal)
Our New Venue For FE 2013
« on: March 21, 2012, 07:29:59 PM »
Over the last few years, Furnal Equinox has grown by leaps and bounds in a manner that has exceeded everyone's expectations (including ours!). And this year, you truly continued the trend, with a full schedule and a full con space!

We knew, even last summer, that we needed to do some serious soul-searching to keep on offering the best experience possible. It became clear that the best way to continue to provide that was to move to a new venue. We'd like to thank the Doubletree staff and management who have made Furnal Equinox so pleasant over the last three years.

But we're not going far: we're just going down the road!

The Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel and Conference Centre at 801 Dixon Road will be the new home of Furnal Equinox beginning in 2013!

When we toured the hotel last year, we were more than impressed by their willingness to roll out the red carpet for us (they even had plushies put out for our chairs!) and we have every bit of confidence that they'll do the same for you.

The Sheraton is making all 26,000 square feet of their convention space available to us: we won't be sharing it with any other groups. And we're already making plans on what to do with it!

- With several small conference rooms available, we'll have even more space for panels and programming! Our Zoo will also include the Waterfall Lounge and the @Link by Sheraton Internet cafe.
- Our Dealers Den room will have 50% more space, and we also plan on putting on an Art Show for the first time!
- Our hospitality lounge will be accessible right in con space. No elevator rides if you have the munchies!
- Want to REALLY help support the convention? Upgrade to our new Supersponsor level and receive a hotel-catered meal.

As for other amenities:

- The in-hotel Olio Restaurant will offer a selection of tasty food that won't break your budget, as well as a breakfast buffet and food carts around con space! We're told there will be a Furnal Equinox themed specialty drink on the menu, too.
- Furnal Equinox attendees will receive a special parking rate: $7.50 per night!
- A heated indoor swimming pool and fitness centre is available for hotel guests.
- You can rest and relax in some larger hotel rooms!

Needless to say, we're really excited about this change. We'll be announcing further details this spring and up until registration opens this summer. For the time being, have a look at our new space in this tour posted on YouTube!

Furnal Equinox 2013 - Our New Venue
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same...

-- Rudyard Kipling
---
Scani (Chair, Furnal Equinox)

Offline Garret

• Site Owner
  • Team Meerkat Administration
  • Species: Meerkat
  • Official Footpaw Warmer
    • Homepage
  • Species : Meerkat
Re: Our New Venue For FE 2013
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 07:38:38 PM »
Lol scani that video!! XD XD   Love the slow mo walk lmfao
Second Life: garret cvercko  ---  Facebook: Smashthemeerkat   ---  FA: GarretC   ---   Homepage: www.smashmeerkat.com   ---   Skype: poopooGarret

Offline SoulWolf

• ^.^
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 07:36:23 AM »
Yay!  We definately needed more space, but I'm so glad I won't have to fight with the Double Tree hotel staff over bogus charges again!   (All 3 years I've had a major issue with their incorrect billings)
~Everything you see and everything you are is not more than light and shadow.~

Offline Arrowrotaru

• Arteest
    • Ihazart
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 09:01:39 AM »
I vote for more Scani promo videos! Give your director and editor a pat on the back for awesome skills :P

(I too did lol at the slow walking >_<)

Offline Jinx

• Jinx
  • ^.^
  • Species: Wolf
  • RAWR!!!
  • Species : Canadian Lynx
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 10:07:54 AM »
sounds good more space is good and better air conditioning:3
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 10:09:42 AM by sammy »
Sammy<3

Offline Drakonman

• ^.^
  • Species: Red Fox that looks totally orange.
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 11:34:41 AM »
inb4 this con blows up to the size of AN and we need the Sheraton, Double tree and the convention center.

Offline Scani

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 06:29:03 PM »
Lol scani that video!! XD XD   Love the slow mo walk lmfao

Anyone who's seen me knows that I walk super fast, so that's not a natural movement for me. Even I know it looked awkward, haha.

(Is that the reason people are disliking the crap out of it, though? Seriously, 11 likes and 11 dislikes :P)

It didn't look so awkward in the original edit, but we had to drag it out a bit.

I vote for more Scani promo videos! Give your director and editor a pat on the back for awesome skills :P

That would be Olefin!

inb4 this con blows up to the size of AN and we need the Sheraton, Double tree and the convention center.

One thing at a time. I don't think even we want to be that big right about now. :p

-- Rudyard Kipling
---

Offline Stew/Hex

• ^.^
  • Species: emperor penguin/ dragon
  • Work and life almost merges in my world.
    • My Fa account
  • Species : emperor penguin and western dragon
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 12:24:43 AM »
Well I was heading to work and decided to bring my camcorder along so I can film the rooms the hotel has to offer for others to know what there getting. I'm not a pro in any way so here are my basic shots of the rooms you can rent for next year.

#1 The normal king room

The Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel and Conference Centre. King room.MP4

#2 The normal queen room (2 beds)

The Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel and Conference Centre. Queen room.MP4

#3 Junior Suite (1 king bed that has a private door and 1 pull out sofa bed)

The Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel and Conference Centre. Junior suite.MP4

Offline Evilbirdie

• ^.^
  • Species: Demonic Phoenix
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 08:42:13 AM »
I am really looking forward to our con using the Sheraton.  I have attended Anime North for the last few years and every time the Sheraton was used for the video gaming events, a lot of the anime pannels and the LARPing events.  I have seen first hand the huge amount of room they have and I know the dance area will have a good amount of room for us.  The main body of the conference area has more than enough space for an artist ally and there are some nice seating available in the lounge area.  I have not had the chance to try there buffet breakfast but I have only heard good things from the LARP groups and the anime event holders that it both filling and reasonably affordable.

Offline Drakonman

• ^.^
  • Species: Red Fox that looks totally orange.
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 10:54:50 AM »
*Rubs Chin* I kinda want that Junior Suite.

Offline Pikazap

• Innovator of Sexiness
  • Team Meerkat Moderator
  • Species : Pikachu Fennec Fox
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 01:00:09 PM »
Great doors to the bed... Nobody walking into the room during yiff time!  I like the junior suite.  Sign me up!

Offline Lostpup

• Guardian Of The Cheese
    • my FA
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 03:18:04 AM »
U guys gonna post the con rate for next year eventually?

Offline Scani

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 06:32:06 AM »
U guys gonna post the con rate for next year eventually?

We do plan on posting more details on our website in the upcoming weeks, but I can say that the con rate is $120 per night, quad occupancy.

(In comparison, the Doubletree was $149 per night -- and there are no "extra person" charges!)

-- Rudyard Kipling
---

Offline Ryx

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 09:07:39 AM »
wow the new venue looks awesome you guys! can't wait till next year! ^.^

Offline Marrow

• Professional pretend dog person
  • ^.^
  • Species: Jackal
  • Species : Jackal
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 01:21:03 PM »
Moving the furry con to the Yaoi North hotel? Priceless.

WTF